1963 Avanti

t261.jpg (94276 bytes) t262.jpg (144669 bytes)

Here is the Avanti after all bodywork was completed. The body was "dry-blocked" by hand with 320 grit sandpaper. Careful attention was paid to the "feel" of the surface. Any waves or imperfections were noted or marked with a magic marker for further repair. The car was then Watersanded with 400 grit sandpaper, and thoroughly washed. I wanted to get most of the watersanding done before the glass was removed.

t264.jpg (111198 bytes)

The Windshield and back glass were "pushed out" from the inside. This was easy to do since we planned on replacing the dry and cracked front windshield gasket anyway. The rear weatherstrip appeared to have been  replaced previously-so it was still very soft and pliable. We certainly expected to re-use it. Surprisingly, we found absolutely NO sealer around the rear glass... This likely would have leaked horribly if we hadn't removed the glass, and reinstalled it correctly.

t267.jpg (97920 bytes)t266.jpg (82167 bytes)

All areas of new bodywork, and wherever we broke through the paint- were primed with 3 coats of urethane epoxy  high-build primer. The entire car was then re-sanded with 400 grit sandpaper.

t265.jpg (86272 bytes)t268.jpg (70185 bytes)

Here you can see that I have removed the trunk carpet. It got pretty wet during the watersanding stages, and taping it off to prevent painting it would be a chore..so out it came. Also is a view of the nearly-completed door hinge repair.

Home:

Page 4: